[Asterisk-Users] country code list

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Tue Oct 11 03:40:01 MST 2005

> AstBill the Web-based open source Billing and Management
> software for Asterisk includes the information you are requesting.

<big snip>

Apologies for the slight threadjack, but as someone fairly new to the list,
what *is* the policy on list advertising? There are quite a few posts I've
seen in the few weeks I've subscribed that are pretty close to the blurry
line.

Back to the original topic - what's the purpose for which you need this
information? Building dialplans or billing?

As you've discovered, the UK is a complete mix of different number ranges,
often numbers within those being billed at different rates. It used to be
the case that one could look at a mobile number range and *know* what
network it was on - but with number porting and so on, that's no longer the
case. Each mobile network sets their own termination rates, all of which
significantly affect the price callers will pay (so having a flat rate for
calls to mobiles might not be possible). I've seen some companies charging
calls to mobiles on the "3" network at nearly twice the price of the big 4.

I'd say you're pretty safe with 01xxx and 02xxx.
05xx hasn't really taken off yet, especially with 01xxx and 02xxx numbers
available so cheaply from VoIP providers, and given that current rates are
~10p to 05 numbers, it doesn't show signs of taking off in the short term.

> 449xx > premium services

Most of our clients generally ask me to block everything staring 09xx by
default. The few pager numbers that are still in this range should (I'd be
interested to hear if they're not) have been assigned new ranges in the
07xxx block by now.

Regards,

Chris