[Asterisk-Users] sip register incoming call contexts?

Steve Gladden Asterisk at MichiganBroadband.com
Mon Oct 10 14:12:10 MST 2005

Long list of questions to follow:

Short version:

Does the register line mate to a peer or is a register line totally
unrelated to a peer that is defined?

When using a register line does it have to refer to actual hostnames?
or can you refer to the peer name in the register line instead
of an actual hostname/IP

[peername] ; where peername does NOT = a hostname or ip address

Long version,

Thanks, I have actually tried this and am still confused.
Please bear with me...

Also I was unclear on my first message and did not state that I also need
to have a few seperate incoming contexts work from the same provider
as well as two different providers.

>From the link you provided the confusion starts wit hthe very first line:
It reads,

"register => <accountid>@sip.broadvoice.com:<password>:<account
id>@sip.broadvoice.com/<extension>"

I'm used to: register => <accountid>@sip.broadvoice.com:password/<extension>

This example has the "<accountid>@sip.broadvoice.com:password/<extension>"
actually iterrated twice like:

"<accountid>@sip.broadvoice.com:<password>:<account
id>@sip.broadvoice.com/<extension>"

(the same thing twice with a colon ":" in the middle.
Is this an error?

Next:

You suggest to create a peer with the context= to what I need.

This brings me back to the same problem of the
[peer] name of [provider.net]

I don't think I can make several peers called [my.provider.net]

If I do.. register line will not know which one to use
as they would all be called [my.provider.net]

Do I need to make several different names and then do some tricks
in DNS to make the different hostnames resolve to the same IP
of my provider that I need?

Please remember I am also trying to get several accounts from the same
provider/IP to come into their own contexts. as well as an account or two
from another provider.

I get your point on what to do but I still do not undertand how to make
several seperate peers that use the same IP/host yet bring their calls
into separate contexts.

The example shows using your providers hostname as the name of the peer.

I guess you could name them something else but then how does the
register line work with the peer if you do not use the hostname???

can you have something like this work?
so far I have tried this and it has been unsuccessful.

I'm still unclear as to if the registerline needs to use actual
hostnames or can it use the name of the peer and get it from the
peer section?

And does the name of the peer somehow mate the register line with the peer
if the name of the peer matches the ?hostname? in the register line,
And does it even need to be an actual hostname?

Can you only use the real hostname in the peer and NOT use the hostname
in the register line?

I hope you can undertand my confusion on this with all the examples using
hostnames and none of the examples using two incoming contexts with
the same hostname yet different sip accounts.

Thank you for your help and your patience.

I think I almost understand this but not quite yet!

register => username:password at testpeer/extension

[testpeer]
type=peer
;Enter your closest proxy server
host=sip.myprovider.com
fromdomain=sip.myprovider.com
fromuser=<accountid>
secret=<password>
context=my-incoming-context-3
;Disable canreinvite if you are behind a NAT
canreinvite=no
;Don't try to authenticate on incoming calls
insecure=very