[Asterisk-Users] Help, please help -- IAX2 softphone to server on LAN

David J Carter david.carter at codepipe.com
Mon Oct 10 12:13:53 MST 2005

Wolfgang wrote:  -

I've already sunk several hours into this without any
real progress, so I'd really appreciate any help  My
task is simple -- establish a connection between a
softphone on XP ProSP2 to a Asterisk server on Linux
FC4 over a LAN through a Netgear router. The server
will then go out to a PSTN termination service.

Thus far, the PSTN termination connection works fine
-- I've opened up 4569 with iptables, and forwarded
4569 to the server IP.  I am not, however, having any
luck connecting the softphone to the server.

I can telnet, ftp, and http to the server, but not
IAX2. Iaxping times out, registration by Idefisk and
Firefly also times out.

The server fails to see the client as well.

Here's a portion of my iax.conf:

[client]
type=friend
username=client
secret=******
host=192.168.1.40
context=clientcon

and extensions.conf:

[clientcon]
exten => 2278,1,Dial(IAX2/client)

You say you have 4569 configured in iptables, what about the netgear router?

Have you port forwarded 4569 there?

Dave