[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Oct 10 08:06:09 MST 2005

Mike M wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 06:50:54PM -0300, Doug Meredith wrote:
>

>>Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque.com> wrote:
>>

>>>too much divergence and we have two pieces of software competing for each
>>>other.
>>>

>>My guess is that if they succeed, they will diverge significantly.
>>

>We will have two pieces of software that work with each other at
>well-defined interfaces.  The development of internal workings may diverge.

Well-defined interfaces is what I like to see even if there are never
any forks. Things like XMLRPC or SOAP interfaces that are "blessed" by
asterisk will motivate some of us to contribute more to the community. I
find it easier to settle down and produce a complete application(even
with some comments in the source) when I know it works against a
well-defined interface - one that will persist for several releases.

Disclaimer - don't construe my mention of XMLRPC/SOAP as an endorsement
or preference. That would start a whole new thread.