[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 02:38:44 MST 2005

On 10/9/05, Florian Overkamp <florian at obsimref.com> wrote:

> snacktime wrote:
> > permit to be used for their contributions.. They won't be happy unless
> > everyone else does things their way. They wouldn't be happy if asterisk
> > was BSD or MIT licensed either.
>
> No that's not true. I myself would be perfectly happy with an MPL.
> However, because Asterisk is available under a GPL formed license, any
> fork will need to be GPL too, until such a time that any and all GPL
> code has been replaced by something the prospective owners are willing
> to relicense under something else.
>
> FLorian

A fork can be anything you want if you own the copyright. They could fork
asterisk into a BSD license tommorrow if they wanted to. Or actually it
would be a combination of BSD and public domain, with all new code going
under BSD.

The people who don't like ABE wouldn't be happy with BSD, because what they
dont' like is that Digium can take their contributions and release them as
part of a closed source product. A BSD license would allow that just like
owning the copyright does.

Personally I look at it like this. Until the point comes that Digium is
contributing less to asterisk then the rest of the community has, then the
community is gaining more than they have given. If I contribute code to
asterisk which Digium sells for a profit via ABE, that's great. I still have
access to asterisk which is worth a lot more than the small part I have
contributed. I win, Digium wins, I dont' see the problem. The code I
contributed I probably needed anways. And without asterisk I wouldn't have
anything at all. And in addition, the more money Digium makes the better
asterisk will be which also benefits me in the long run.

Chris