[Asterisk-Users] Digium G.729 codec modules updated

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sat Oct 8 14:51:54 MST 2005

Eric Bishop wrote:
> Have you founy any real life performance benefit of x86_64 (particularly
> EM64T on Xeon) as apposed to plan old x86?

Yes. On my Athlon-64 2200+ system on my desk, the 'opteron' version
encodes a 6722 block sample file in 478ms; the 'i686' version does it in
514ms. The 'i386' version is somewhere near 600ms, since it has no fancy
instruction scheduling.

Interestingly, _all_ of the 32-bit x86 optimized versions run just fine
on that machine, meaning that GCC did not opt to use any instructions
that are specific to a processor model/family... the performance
improvements come only from scheduling the instruction flow.