[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk PBX in Debian

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Fri Oct 7 17:55:07 MST 2005

Michael Coburn wrote:

>Or why not create all sound files under /usr/share/asterisk/sounds and
>then subdirs from there for your own touched files i.e.
>/usr/share/asterisk/sounds/custom ?
>--
>Michael Coburn

Short answer is because we live by rules.

Any good linux distro follows standards regarding the proper location of
files. /usr/local /opt and /var/lib would be more appropriate for
locally added sounds.

This is good reading for people new to linux. Maybe you always wondered
why there is a /bin, /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin? This will enlighten you:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/