[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Fri Oct 7 11:24:58 MST 2005

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

>> IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a fork.  In fact, were I
>> someone with some seroius coding skills and/or the resources to make
>> it happen, I'd have forked the damned thing 2 years ago, and likely
>> would have been able to migrate it over to a true OSS license (BSD)
>> by now.
>
> Tss, tss. You can't change the GPL license to anything that is
> 'stricter' or 'freer'.
>
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel.

Licence changes can be made... look at Cistron Radius.  They started
with Livingston's code, which was under the BSD license.  Once their
code had been completely rewritten, they did an audit and found that
they were no longer using the original code base and made the decision
to move to the GPL.  Why they wanted to move to a more restrictive
license is beyond me (and this thread), but they did it.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks