[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

Troy Settle troy at psknet.com
Fri Oct 7 09:10:54 MST 2005

Nice smartass remark... of course anyone can register a domain name.

Is forking asterisk legal?  Of course it is!  Asterisk is under the GPL,
which means that anyone can fork it at any time for any reason.

Look at this in a positive light... many open source projects have
forked, and the branches almost always end up feeding on one another.
Look at the competition between various linux distributions.  Look at
the competition and colaboration between the various *BSD communities.
They all give and take from one another, creating a better /family/ of
products.

Oh, and the idea that these guys are out to get the same "benifits" that
Digium enjoys is insane.  I'd imagine that while Digium may make some
money from selling alternate licenses, they make most their money from
hardware sales and support.

IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a fork.  In fact, were I
someone with some seroius coding skills and/or the resources to make it
happen, I'd have forked the damned thing 2 years ago, and likely would
have been able to migrate it over to a true OSS license (BSD) by now.

I know that the idea of forking asterisk has been tossed around by a LOT
of people for a long time now, I'm glad it finally happened.

--
   Troy Settle
   Pulaski Networks