[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk/Debian/VIA EPIA M Howto

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Oct 7 04:24:15 MST 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:17:21AM -0600, Cameron Steadman wrote:
> I have written a step-by-step setup for installing Asterisk on Debian
> using the VIA EPIA M platform.  It is oriented to the Linux novice
> (myself being one).  Feel free to use it :)

What CPU is it, exactly? Could you please post /proc/cpuinfo ?

Please see my previous posts regarding optimizations for that CPU.

Anyway, I'd like to also comment on a paragraph from that page:

| At this point, you might be asking yourself "Why does he not just use
| apt to install Asterisk?" Well, when I was installing this, I wanted to
| make sure I had the latest software availbe from Digium for my
| installation, and packaged software (like the kind you get using apt)
| usually lags behind by several months.

Actually you can package the latest in a debian package. Once you figure
how to package it, you see that you can adapt the debian package to work
with a CVS version . There's also cvs-buildpackage for this type of
work.

This will be useful for you if you want to keep a separate build machine
(does not have to have he same CPU, BTW) and then you don't have to
install all of the development packages on your production machine.