[Asterisk-Users] how do I know what codec is being used

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Thu Oct 6 15:45:37 MST 2005

First you can do a show channels at the CLI (some output columns removed
for clarity):

pbx*CLI> show channels
Channel          ...  Application(Data)
Zap/1-1          ...  Bridged Call(SIP/112-c8e1)
SIP/112-c8e1     ...  Dial(Zap/1/7476011||TW)
2 active channels
1 active call

We can see the two call legs.  My SIP extension, 112, Dial()ed 7476011
out Zap/1, and we can see that the Zap/1-1 channel is Bridged to my
SIP/112.  That's the two legs of my call.  Since I really only care
about codecs in relation to my sip leg, I would next type at the CLI:

pbx*CLI> show channel SIP/112-c8e1
(or pbx*CLI> show channel Zap/1-1, if I really wanted to see about the
Zap leg)

Among lots of other cool info, the output will contain what you need:

    NativeFormat: 4
     WriteFormat: 4
      ReadFormat: 4

finally, by typing 'show codecs' at the CLI:

     4 (1 <<  2)      (0x4)  audio    ulaw   (G.711 u-law)

we see that codec 4 is ulaw.  You could of course also do a:

sip show peer 112 (or other extension) to see what they have registered
with asterisk claiming to support:

   Codecs       : 0x104 (ulaw|g729)
   Codec Order  : (g729,ulaw)

Moj

Andy Kuo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This may be a stupid/easy question for many of you.
>
> Q. how do I know what codec is being used for a particular call or call leg?
>

> Thanks.
> AK

Mojo <mojo at horanappraisals.com>
Office Manger, Horan & Company, LLC