[Asterisk-Users] ast_fax with sendmail

Mark Johnson asterisk at astroshapes.com
Thu Oct 6 08:23:54 MST 2005

Technical Support wrote:

> Has anyone configured ast_fax (sending faxes via asterisk) with
> sendmail?  The creation of rules to trap all numbers
> XXXXXXXXXXX at domain.com <mailto:XXXXXXXXXXX at domain.com> seems too
> complicated.  Does anyone have setup details to share?  (I don't want
> to switch MTA's).
>
> As a workaround, I could launch the app automatically from
> sendmail using an alias like:
>
> fax:    "| /ast_fax"
>
> That way sending to fax at domain.com <mailto:fax at domain.com> is easily
> handled by the sendmail program (without complex rules for numbers at
> the TO:) and launches the ast_fax app.  The phone numbers to fax to
> could be entered into to subject line of the email.
>
> I looked at eps (address.c) and and ast_fax (ast_fax.c) and it looks
> like all that is needed is modifying address.c (or copy it so
> subject.c) to extract from the Subject line instead of the To line.
> Making this even more useful would be adding a parameter to the .call
> file which tells ast_fax to extract phone numbers from either the TO:
> line (default) or the SUBJECT line.
>
> I'm wondering if something like this has already been done?  (I
> wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel)....
> Alternatively, does someone have a working sendmail config to share?
>
> Thanks
> MD

On my mail server, I added this to the virtusertable

    fax at domain.com                            fax%3 at asterisk.domain.com

Then on the Asterisk server, I put this in the virtusertable:

    fax at domain.com                    fax

Then on the Asterisk server, put this in your aliases:

    fax:   "|/ast_fax"

The only drawback to this is the email address is formatted like this:

fax+8005551234 at domain.com

I could live with this as it actually makes for a more flexible
solution.  You can use an address like call+8005551234 and it do
something different from faxing.

Mark