[Asterisk-Users] Any way to not overwrite sound files on compile?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Oct 6 06:27:19 MST 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 12:06, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Existence of what? The issue is that if we have a new version of a sound
> file, there's no way to know whether the one currently in place is
> 'original' or modified.

Wait a minute... the only problem is that the "wrong" sound file (same
filename, different content) may exist?

WTF's the big problem?  *do not* overwrite files, and if their PBX is so
totally fucked up that the sounds do not match what they think should be
played, they read the damn README or INSTALL where it clearly states
something along the lines of "make install-samples" installs the default
sound set.  PLEASE BACK UP YOUR EXISTING/CHANGED FILES BEFORE EXECUTING THIS
COMMAND."

Although I do like the idea of version-tagging, it seems tedious, too.

In all honesty, the best solution is to have
a /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom/ directory where people put their own shit.
I admit I have screwed up and put my own sounds in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds
and they've been overwritten/gone missing in updates.  To me though, that was
my own stupidity, and I've learned.

-A.