Fw: [Asterisk-Users] trunking IAX2

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Oct 4 06:45:20 MST 2005

Geo a écrit :

>Hello,
>
>Would like to use IAX /IAX2 to transport 30 channels inter Asterisk.

Cool!

>I don't have any experience with that, so can someone help ??

There is plenty of information on the wiki http://voip-info.org. If you
can't work it out, I recommend that you hire somebody to do a bit of
training. I've done it myself and it helps tremendously.

Also, I highly recommend the hassle-free Xorcom asterisk distro.

>How much bw do I need for simultaneous calls and is there any latency for SIP G711 to IAX2 and vice-versa , ... etc  ?

If you're not doing codec translation (i.e. if you use g.711
throughout), you need around 80kbps per channel.

So if you're having 30 incoming SIP calls and 30 outgoing IAX calls (or
the reverse), I'd think you need around 5 Mbps symetrical bandwith.

Of course things can be improved a great deal with better codecs,
trunking, etc. However if bandwith is cheap for you then it's prolly
best option to keep things simple.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.