[Asterisk-Users] newbie asterisk build

Martin astrisk at alanet.net
Wed Oct 5 21:35:26 MST 2005

I am trying to build asterisk from the 1.0.9 stable tarballs.
I'm trying to follow these instructions:
http://www.digium.com/downloads/quick_install_zaptel_asterisk.pdf

I started with a fresh install of RedHat 9 linux
on a box with digium  card. I did a

rpm -q kernel-sources zlib zlib-devel openssl openssl-devel

and verified the requisite packages were installed.
I uncompressed and unraveled the zaptel tarball with

tar -xzf zaptel-1.0.9.2.tar.gz

followed by:

cd zaptel-1.9.0.2
make clean;make install

This resulted in lots similar to the following:

/usr/bin/ld /usr/lib/crtn.o: invalid string offset 1>0 for section `'
/usr/bin/ld /usr/lib/crtn.o: invalid string offset 4>0 for section
`.shstrtab'

with the final show stopper

./gendigits
make[1]: *** [tones.h] segmentation fault

What do I need to fix in order to get a clean make on these tarballs
on a RedHat 9 box?

Thanks.

Martin