[Asterisk-Users] dropped calls when g729 is used on sip leg

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Wed Oct 5 17:54:55 MST 2005

Hello - I have 8 polycom 501s all setup great using ulaw.  We have put
them through a pretty rigorous torture over the last 4 months, and
they've performed famously.  No dropped calls ever.

We invested in some g729 licenses.  changed my ipmid.cfg so that g729 is
priority 1 and ulaw is priority 2.  I added allow=g729 to my extension's
sip.conf entry, where existed before disallow=all and allow=ulaw.

told asterisk to do a reload, and tried dialing out on a zap line.  It
was obvious from the call quality that g729 had been selected, and I
double-checked and triple-checked by
1) a sip show peer 112 shows:
   Codecs       : 0x104 (ulaw|g729)
   Codec Order  : (g729,ulaw)

and 2) the status of the current call as reported by the phone's menu
system  shows it using g729 as well.

So, great.  lower network usage, and the quality is good.  And if I call
another polycom configured the same way, they drop asterisk per
canreinvite=yes, and continue their happy g729 way.

After an indeterminate amount of time, sometimes 30 seconds and
sometimes 5 minutes, one of two things happens: first, sometimes, the
zap leg just disappears.  I don't get any messages on the CLI at verbose
level 30 and debug level 30.  The SIP leg stays connected, but the audio
trails out into a lovely mash of codec ether before silence.  The phone
remains off-hook when this happens, and it just remains silent.  So I
didn't think sip debug logs would help, but I will post them if someone
thinks it might help.  Secondly, sometimes, the zap leg doesn't
disappear, but audio is not delivered from the g729-using polycoms to
the zap callee.  I hear them but they are just hello?  hello?.  Neither
of these things happen when the phones runs in ulaw.

Does anyone have any idea where to look? I'll post whatever logs anyone
thinks might help.

I'm using 1.2.0b1, but this occurred with my CVS HEAD of around
7/20/2005 as well.

Thanks!

Mojo

--