[Asterisk-Users] Sprint Nextel sueing over VoIP patents

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Wed Oct 5 15:06:24 MST 2005

There has already been a reporter that reviewed the filing in Kansas
City, it had no specifics (CNET article maybe). Looks like we will have
to wait for the details after there have been further filings...

significantly.

Jason
> Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:06 PM
> To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
> Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Sprint Nextel sueing over VoIP patents
>
> I'll start with the disclaimer that I am not an attorney... nor do I
play
> one on TV...
>
> But, a search of the US Patent & Trademark Office reveals 13 patents
> assigned to Sprint that deal with VoIP. (http://www.uspto.gov/)
>
> 6947411
> 6944150
> 6937869
> 6909690
> 6870857
> 6868081
> 6865398
> 6741695
> 6731735
> 6697097
> 6681116
> 6556826
> 6373930
>
> Of particular interest are the '9690, '4150, '1695, '3930 patents.
>
> '9690 is a patent on call admission control using silence suppression
> better utilize network bandwidth. Specifically, it seems to deal with
> method to apply adaptive silence suppression at the customer site...
> presumably in the ATA.
>
> '4150 is a patent on a 'gateway' layer to be implemented between a
> customer
> and the communications network as a means of offering and controlling
> services offered as well as optimizing the deliver of those services.
>
> '1695 is a patent on a method to interface packet-based and circuit-
> switched
> networks. It specifically mentions SIP and other protocols and how to
> interface them to signaling and voice paths in a circuit-switched
network.

> Finally, '3930 is a patent on a method to 'redirect' call setup
through a
> third party for the purposes of service restriction or authorization.
> Basically it's a method of implementing pre-paid service on a packet
> network.
>

> The only one that seems to me that would directly apply to the *
community
> may be the '4150 or '1695 patents. But I don't know enough about
patent
> law
> to know if it would be worth their time or if they would even have a
case.

> There *maybe* something there too with some of the prepaid modules,
like
> AstCC, if they could argue it was hosted on a separate system. Again,
> don't know enough of the specifics to make an educated guess.
>
> OK... now that I did my part to add to the FUD, maybe somebody that
knows
> more can build on what I found.
>
> Jason

Todd

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&c2cof

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-February/036311.ht
> ml
>   http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,1059204,00.html
>
> FYI: Voiceglo and theglobe.com are the same company for all intents
and
> purposes.
>
> Therefore, I am very interested to see if this is merely co-incidental
or
> if
> there is a reason that Sprint picked out two providers that use
Asterisk
> in
> their core.  Despite hysteria or misinformation on this (and other)
lists,
> there is no direct information that I've seen that this is Sprint
making a
> blanket patent lawsuit against anyone using VoIP.  Perhaps this is
just
> some
> specific feature that they have a legitimate patent on which has been
> infringed.  I doubt this is a codec patent issue, nor an equipment
patent
> issue (as previously discussed on -biz list.)
>
> Is there anyone with better detail on the lawsuit specifics able to
> comment?
>
> JT
>
> --
9/21/2005