[Asterisk-Users] ADSI -- is it dead? Worth bothering with?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Oct 5 10:30:02 MST 2005

>I would be curious about what other members of this list think about
>the best practices for giving clients functionality on their desk
>phones.
See, I have a dirty little secret. One of the primary justifications that is
used for VoIP PBX is consolidated physical network - I mean, it's supposed
to be easier, right? One network and all that. But you know, I've found
myself muttering sometimes: "Man, if this was a *regular* phone I wouldn't
be having these problems" and by that I mean things like bandwidth issues,
latency, no spare Ethernet port, vlan'ing, router's messed up today, blabla,
all of those considerations go *away* when you use a PSTN emulation or ADSI.
Plus you use a phone that the *user* is familiar with. Who doesn't have a
Vista phone? This, to me, is a "best practice" : make sure your user
interface is consistent and instantly familiar.
ADSI I find interesting because you can still do all of the VoIP goodness
with a legacy phone. I was just wondering if there was a future for it,
since the ILEC here in Edmonton I don't think even gives out a Vista for
residential anymore, they try to sell you a cordless phone. I would
seriously consider it if I could get really nice unlocked phones for under
$100 and I could deal with the number of ports required. Hell, I still have
kilometers of Cat 3 in place from the Meridian.