[Asterisk-Users] Hardware vs. Network Inputs

Chris Shaw chriss at precisionpump.net
Wed Oct 5 09:27:41 MST 2005

Michael,

Doing an All-Network setup is completely doable but there are many factors
to consider.

First of all, I didn't see any mention of how many connections it takes
before Asterisk starts having difficulty with DTMF. You mentioned that the
computer is directly connected to a T1, is it the only computer using the T1
or are there others?

Also what kind of network is it? Do you have a good SLA? What kind of packet
loss do you experience on average? What is your ping time to the Broadvoice
proxy that you're using? Are you using any kind of QoS?

Remember that Broadvoice only uses G.711u/a so with RTP + UDP + IP overhead
you're looking at ~85kbit/s so at around 9-10 concurrent calls you're going
to be pushing it a bit with 900Kbit available bandwidth.

You might try turning the SIP RelaxDTMF setting on, that may help, also if
you don't have and are not planning on getting any Zaptel hardware, consider
using Ztdummy or ZapRTC as an RTP timing source. I know that on the wiki it
says that they are really only useful for MoH or MeetME but I've found it to
help greatly with audio quality and Asterisk's DTMF detection. YMMV.

	Good Luck!

	-Chris