[Asterisk-Users] Easy SIP.conf questien. Incomming call context?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Oct 5 00:57:12 MST 2005

Arne Morten Johansen wrote:
> Does the incomming call context in extensions.conf always have to be
> [default]?
>
> Can't i define different context for incomming like i can for Outgoing
> in the sip.conf? My default conf is getting very large.

In sip.conf, you can set context in a few places:

In the [general] section you set the context for unknown users,
un-authenticated calls. If you do not set it at all, it will default to
"[default]".

In a type=user, you can set the context for incoming calls that this
device places.

In a type=peer, you can set the context for incoming calls for this peer.

In the cvs head and 1.2 beta you can also set a subscribecontext to
limit what extensions a peer can subscribe to the status of.

Normally, you want a limited set of extensions in the context you point
to in the [general] section and more services for users/peers. Users and
peers normally get outbound calling, which should not be allowed from
outside users.

Also do remember that you can include contexts within context with the
"include=" statement. Please read the sample configuration files that we
provide with Asterisk to learn more. There are many examples on the web
and on the wiki as well, so you have some reading to do before you
continue exploring Asterisk dialplans!

Good luck!

/Olle