[Asterisk-Users] G.729 Codec

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Tue Oct 4 10:18:28 MST 2005

I think that's correct.  If a softphone connects to asterisk and only
allows gsm, and a polycom 500 were to connect to asterisk and only allow
g729, then yes, you'd need one license.

I cannot confirm, however, that my phones would negotiate g729 between
themselves if asterisk didn't allow it during the registration.  Anybody
have any ideas?  I assume they would, and you wouldn't need any
licenses.  and as long as your phone could fall back to ulaw or
something, even voicemail/ivr should work.  Due to network constraints,
fallback to ulaw may of course not be desirable...

Just to rant, I wish I would have realized this all a week ago.  I only
have three outgoing phone lines, so should only need three concurrent
g729 licenses -- 'cause if my phones aren't calling out on pstn lines
they're talking amongst themselves...

Moj

Yu Safin wrote:
> On 10/4/05, Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC <mojo at horanappraisals.com> wrote:
>
>>from the CLI, show g729 -- In my situation, with polycom 501s, if a
>>phone calls another internal phone and canreinvite is set to yes, this
>>does not count against your licenses 'cause the phones are now the only
>>devices in the conversation.  you can still find in my phones' status
>>menu what codec it has negotiated for the current call.  When asterisk
>>drops from the loop for me, my phones remain on g729.
>>
>>Moj
>>

> are you saying that when asterisk is used only to connect two phones
> using g729, then there is no need for a g729 license on asterisk?
> by the same token, if asterisk was to be used to translated, eg g729
> to gsm, then I would need the g729 license.
> am I understanding it correctly?

Mojo <mojo at horanappraisals.com>
Office Manger, Horan & Company, LLC
(907) 747-6666 x112