[Asterisk-Users] Quad PRI Problems

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Oct 4 05:52:42 MST 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:32, Ronald Hartmann wrote:
> I have been getting quite a bit of PRI Resets using my Quad PRI Digium
> card.

You've got a problematic setup for Digium's Zaptel cards.
You're also running an old version of Asterisk.  1.09 is the "stable" release
and 1.2 is the upcoming next "stable" release.

> span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs # connects to an Adtran FXS TA624
> span=2,1,0,esf,b8zs # Connects to Bell Company 1
> span=3,1,0,esf,b8zs # Connects to Bell Company #2
> span=4,1,0,esf,b8zs # Connects to Brook Trout CArd

First of all you've got all four spans attempting to synchronize with the
other side of the respective span.  Digium cards cannot do this; all four
spans must share one common clock.

Seeing as you have two different telcos coming in to this card, it could be
difficult to achieve sync, but telcos generally all come back to one common
clock anyway so it may work out all right.

I'd set span 1, and 4 to a clocking value of '0' which means "do not attempt
to sync to this span, use the internal clock." Leave span 2 as is, with
clocking set to '1', which means "this span is my primary sync source."  Set
span 3 to a clock value of '2', which means "this span is my secondary sync
source."

To summarize the clocking values:
0 = do not attempt to use this span for a clock source.
1 = this is my primary sync source.  Synchronize the internal clock to the
recovered clock from this span.
2 = this is my secondary sync source.  Use this span's recovered clock as a
sync source if my primary sync source is down.
3 = this is my tertiary sync source.  Use this span's recovered clock as a
sync source if my primary and secondary sync sources are down.
4 = ...

you get the idea.  Basically the setup I suggested for you is to use telco #1
as the primary sync source, and to fall back to telco #2's clock if telco
#1's span goes down.  I have suggested not attempting to recover clock from
the Adtran nor the Brook Trout spans.

Good luck.  :-)

-A.