[Asterisk-Users] Realtime and voicemail: request to find out if I'm crazy

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Mon Oct 3 15:14:51 MST 2005

It took me a whole lot of reading to catch what is likely not all that
subtle to many, but it was subtle to me.

Static:   Is the global config stuff from voicemail.conf
           mailboxes aren't done in the voicemail.conf file.
           The perl script, ast2sql.pl will parse a given config and put
           it into a SQL db (MySQL in my case).
           /etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf get's an entry like this:

           voicemail.conf => mysql,asterisk,ast_config

           documented here:

           http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+RealTime+Static

Realtime: This is the part that actually sets up the mailboxes.  If you

           already have mailboxes in /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf you'll
           have to load them into the table defined in
           etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf.  That entry look like this:

           voicemail => mysql,asterisk,voicemail_users

           documented here:

           http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+RealTime+Voicemail

so... a complete voicemail entry is either two lines in
/etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf like so:

voicemail.conf => mysql,asterisk,ast_config
voicemail => mysql,asterisk,voicemail_users

OR

a file, /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf for the voicemail system defaults
AND the /etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf entry for the mailboxes.

Or am I totally stupid and just making this difficult?