[Asterisk-Users] Which hardware configuration? How would this work?

Landon Stewart | Superb Internet Corp. landonstewart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:47:45 MST 2005

Hello Everyone,

Please accept my appologies - I've been reading through the handbook and the
online documentation / mailing list archives and can't quite get my own
answer to these inquiries... The biggest mystery is how the existing
handsets are connected to a new machine running Asterisk.

Background:
- The phone system we have is horribly out of date and may pack-it-in any
day now.
- Existing PBX system (AltiReach running on NT4) but we plan on replacing
this server entirely and ditching the old PCI cards but keeping the hand
sets (approximately 30 Nortel hand sets).
- We have 12 regular phone lines coming into this system
- We have satelite offices that could be VOIP after the system is
implemented.

What is the best hardware configuration for this? Should we get a T1? Which
cards/hardware should we use? We are currently unclear on how the hand sets
connect to the system but moderately clear on how the phone lines would
connect to the box. Some information sources or direct examples of how to
switch from a 30 handset office to an Asterisk system would be awesome. Once
we replace our current setup we will delve into the extended
features/options available. VOIP is probably the most important one after we
switch systems entirely.

If there is anything else I can provide to help you help me I will reply as
soon as possible.

--
Landon Stewart
Superb Internet Corporation