[Asterisk-Users] What does the error "stale nonce' mean?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 3 00:51:02 MST 2005

Paul Conn wrote:
> I’m receiving the following error over and over, adnauseam:
>

> Oct  1 23:59:53 NOTICE[3194]: chan_sip.c:5890 check_auth: stale nonce
> received from ‘CNAME-CID <sip:5551212 at 192.168.1.X>’
>

> Does anyone know what “stale nonce” is?
I've answered this question many times, so you should be able to find
the answer...

A stale nonce is when a device tries to re-authenticate with a nonce
that is no longer valid. We are telling them that the nonce they used is
invalid, and re-issue a new challenge and a fresh nonce. It's just an
informative message, that I propably should move away to a debug level
of some kind.

/Olle