[Asterisk-Users] OT: RHEL / CentOS Enable APIC

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Sun Oct 2 20:59:12 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 10/01/2005 10:17:47 AM:

> Is there a way with either RHEL or CentOS to force it to use an
> APIC-enabled kernel?  I've tried Googling but no success.

I can find no way of doing this during the install.  If you have a single
processor system, AFAIK you are stuck with standard PIC (not APIC)
support.  And while APIC and SMP have little to do with each other any
more, it seems that only SMP kernels have APIC support.  Therefore, you
must install the SMP kernel.  And again, I can find no way of forcing the
install to install an SMP kernel on a uni machine.

So, after the install takes place, you must do the following:

Mount CD #2
change into the RedHat/RPMS directory
rpm -ivh <whatever the kernel-smp.whatever.rpm is>

This will install the SMP kernel and add an entry into Grub.  If you wish
to boot this kernel by default, modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst and change
DEFAULT=1 to DEFAULT=0.  Then, reboot.

At this point, zaptel will not load anymore:  it will complain that it
cannot find the module.  You will have to recompile zaptel.  After this,
the zaptel module will load.

This works, and it doesn't seem to be too cumbersome, but it sure seems
like there should be some sort of installation parameter you could add
somewhere to force-load an SMP kernel even on a uniprocessor machine.  Of
course, even better would probably be compiling a uniprocessor kernel with
APIC support, but whatever.

Tim Massey