[Asterisk-Users] Fw: Channel Banks, what are they for?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Oct 2 15:10:31 MST 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 15:29, Mojo Jojo wrote:
> So then I could take a channel bank and feed my PRI from the telco into it
> then on the other side I would have a bunch of RJ11 ports to use as normal
> analog type phone lines?

I don't know of any channel banks that accept PRI.  Channel banks take in
regular T1s (and E1s if you can find 'em).

If you had a standard CAS-signaled T1 you could, yes, bring it directly into a
channel bank and do what you're asking.  That's what they were designed to
do.  :-)

> What about this situation... I have a PRI going directly into an Asterisk
> box now in a location using a TE110P card. What if I wanted to pull off a
> few of those 24 channels to use for fax lines, dialup internet testing
> lines etc.. Would this be a job for a channel bank? If so, could you
> explain how a channel bank,  and my Asterisk box would be setup to do
> something like this?

You would need an add/drop CSU/DSU (something that takes multiple T1s and lets
you route the individual channels amongst the ports.  Some channel banks can
do this, and a TE205P can do it too with Asterisk.

-A.