[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on windows

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Sun Oct 2 03:50:37 MST 2005

On Sun, October 2, 2005 12:07, Patrick said:
> On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:21 +0100, Wayne wrote:
>> Hiyall,
>> been following this for a while, just thought I would add a bit to the
>> debate, but doesn't the Cisco system (Call Manager?) run on an Windows
>> 2000 based server - if it was that bad why would Cisco choose to run it?
>
> Politics and cluelessness. There are rumours that Cisco's next CCM will
> run Linux. Cisco also used Win2000 on their BBSM product. An amazing
> piece of crap according to those who had to install it and maintain it.
> You had to reboot the thing over and over. Sounds familiar?
>
>> Also 3Com use NT/2000 to run the H323 gateway. Admittedly the call
>> processor runs on VXWorks but to cross the boundary of proprietary 3com
>> and rest of world - they jump onto windows.
>
> VWWorks is as stable as it gets compared to M$. At least they had the
> brains to put the important part on a Unix like OS. About the M$ part,
> well, it's silly decisions like that that contribute to 3Com's fading
> away.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

*shrugs*
SonicWALL (firewall company) have always had their Global Management
System on Sun/Oracle and M$/SQL2000...

The first combination was more stable from the onset, but the second has
been sold many more times, at some point even pushing away
development-time for the Sun/Oracle combination in favor of M$/SQL2000.
They'd probably have dropped it if it hadn't been in use at a few very
large sites (obviously run by people that *did* have a clue what they were
doing!)

>From the onset there have also been many crying for a Linux version, but
again, M$/SQL2000 development took so much time, I still haven't seen a
glimpse of it!

Sometimes a company just doesn't have a choice, and in a market dominated
by M$ manipulation, ehrr... monopolisation, you're quickly condemned to M$
if you need to sell to a large market!

That doesn't make it a better plastform than Linux, but them ITC managers
just don't know there's something out there that is more stable, more
reliable, less costly, etc.

--
Francesco Peeters
----