[Asterisk-Users] Re: Problem with ADIT 600 and FXO configuration

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Nov 30 04:52:06 MST 2005

> Waiting a bit for 1.2, not yet ready to rewrite the dial-plan.

There were enough fixes, etc, in v1.2 that I'd consider it a priority
to get there fairly soon.

> > What do you mean "Yes the calls out are/were to Zap/g1/xxxxxxx"?
> > Your outbound extensions.conf entry should look something like:
> >  exten => _9XXXXXXX,1,Dial(Zap/g1/${EXTEN:1})
> > What is "xxxxxx" in your example? Copy/paste the exact entry that
> > you are trying to use.
>
> [globals]
> TRUNK=Zap/g0    ; Trunk interface
> TRUNKMSD=1      ; MSD digits to strip (usually 1 or 0)
> [localexchange]
> exten =>
> _9NXXXXXX,1,DBput(RepeatDial/${CALLERIDNUM}=${EXTEN:${TRUNKMSD}})
> exten => _9NXXXXXX,2,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN:${TRUNKMSD}})
> exten => _9NXXXXXX,3,Congestion
>
> The above is working just fine with the Digium X101P FXO cards and
> has for the last year and 1/2.

And, the above looks fine.

> Looking at the X101P when it dials out, it starts at 46.6 volts,
> then drops to 8.7 when it dials the DTMF digits, repeated for 10
> observations.  No reversal or dropping to 0 noted.  Switching
> to the ADIT 600 FXO card there is 50 volts while not connected
> dropping to 10 when it dials.

That's very normal.

> I have found two things.  The first was one of the POTS lines
> was wired with tip/ring reversed by the telco.  The second
> was that only one of the three lines wouldn't work for
> outbound calling (only one DTMF digit is sent).  Noticed that
> one line is wired next to the ADSL line for Internet service.
> Temporary disconnect of the DSL the line, it works, my test
> set reported finding data signals on the line also. So it
> would appear that the ADIT 600 doesn't tolerate the
> interference.

If your test set has a noise level measurement, test each of your
incoming pots lines and use 20 dbrnc of noise (or less) for your
objective. Anything greater then that, dispatch the telco folks
and/or reroute/rewire your inside cable.

> So for now I've moved two POTS lines to the ADIT 600 and left
> the one connected to the X101P.
>
> I'm sure it's going to cause confusion that one line is
> directly on the PBX however the others go though the ADIT.

I'd get rid of the x101p as soon as practical. The functionality and
irregularities of it compared to the channel bank is sure to cause ongoing
support issues that will end up driving up the operational costs.
The two are not in the same league.

> I'm not entirely certain that everything is OK however
> I think we can move forward.  I still have to figure out
> why Span 1 stopped functioning (shows the Nop state),
> btw. the F1 detail in zttool states "Not Open" instead
> of "Not Operational", perhaps a typo?

I would not worry too much about the verbage. Keep in mind that a lot
of terms used in asterisk are those of programmers, not telephony
oriented people. From a programmers perspective, "not open" and "not
operational" probably have the same meaning.

> Thanks very much for your assistance, it was a very frustrating
> problem for me.

Glad I could help a little. I guess a couple of things that have been
learned is always test the external lines early in the process to
eliminate issues, and, don't trust zap/g0 dialing to detect (and
bypass) pots lines that have problems.

The pots line that you mention is next to the dsl circuit (or whatever),
you might try installing another dsl filter in front of the asterisk/
channel bank connection. It should reduce some of the noise and will
likely allow you to use the line.

Rich