[Asterisk-Users] IAXmodem fax polling

Mon Nov 28 23:47:12 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 10:43 -1000, Jean-Denis Girard wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I installed iaxmodem and Hylafax to see how it compares to rx/txfax; so
> far I had 0 failure in my limited testing with a Philips HFC21 fax
> machine that failed very often with txfax (same test platform, with
> spandsp-0.0.2xxx).
>
> So congratulation and thanks for this work !
> (maybe some of the improvement is due to newer spandsp used in iaxmodem)
>
> Now I would like to use iaxmodem in a "fax polling" application:the
> customer calls the asterisk server from a fax machine, answers a few
> questions through an IVR, then a script generates a file (tiff or
> whatever) based on the customer's input, and the fax is transmitted on
> the customer's channel.
>
> With txfax it is straightforward. With iaxmodem, the only way I found is
> to send both calls to a meetme room: the customer hears a message/music
> while the fax is processed by Hylafax, and then iaxmodem is bridged to
> the caller's channel. It seems to work in my very limited testing, but
> I'm a bit worried about degradation going through the meetme
> pseudo-channel, which would result in less reliability. What do you
> think about reliability? Is there a better way?

Don't assume that we read this list every 5 secs.... I haven't read the
mailing list since last week....

In any case, you have two options:
1) Do it with meetme like you do now...
2) Just transfer the call to iaxmodem....

eg:
exten => s,1,GenerateFax
exten => s,2,txfax(somefax)

convert to:
exten => s,1,TellHylafaxWhatFaxToSend
exten => s,2,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem)

Then, hylafax should answer and send the requested fax.....

Or maybe I'm missing something...

Regards,
Adam