[Asterisk-Users] SIP rapid INVITE re-transmission: bug, or config problem?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Nov 28 17:52:00 MST 2005

John Todd wrote:

> 2) The intervals between the INIVTEs after the 407 sequence are: 34ms, 30ms, 49ms, 91ms.  This is _way_ too fast for response timers to be expiring for reliable re-transmissions of INVITEs... isn't it?  According to DEFAULT_RETRANS in chan_sip.c, the proper delay should be 1000ms between retransmissions.

The intervals are computed based on the qualify timer results. If the
peer responds quickly to OPTIONS, we assume it will respond quickly to
INVITE.

> I am _totally_ stumped here.  I have changed the names of the peers, changed the qualify= statement, moved the peers around in sip.conf, stood on my head, etc.  Your insights on this would be appreciated, since I'm not quite sure what Asterisk is up to with these rapid INVITE sequences.  I'm thinking "bug" but maybe there is some subtle config option that I'm overlooking, so I'll ask the list before I file the bug.  Maybe it's just that I've had too much caffeine today and the obvious solution is the one that's the most difficult to see.

I would try removing qualify completely to see if it helps; it's likely
that the peer takes a long time to respond to INVITE with authentication
and we aren't allowing enough time.