[Asterisk-Users] A rather big setup.

Simone Cittadini mymailforlists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:43:06 MST 2005

Vedran Dakic ha scritto:

> How does Asterisk handle this kind of setup with one-two/cluster
> central server(s) and a bunch of other servers
>
> connected with IAX(2)? If you have local calls, do they go directly
> from phone to phone, do they go from phone to
>
> per-floor-Asterisk server, or they have to be interconnected via the
> main Asterisk server(s)/cluster?

With SIP the default is to directly connect the phones once the call is
setup (I think also in IAX), investigate canreinvite / nat.

Of course you can't do call detail record for calls which aren't forced
to pass from the server, see if it's a problem ...

<imho>
As for maintenance we have a dozen of pcs with asterisk installed, each
of them is server for 8/10 sip phones and client to a central asterisk
server which then connects to E1. Asterisk pcs are scattered around,
they pass trough at least one natted network, usually two. Never a problem.

Connecting all the SIP phones to SER  load balancing to more than one
asterisk server will make you learn a lot about sip internals, proxy,
domains, authentication and other interesting stuff, but if you need to
have a working sistems and can start from zero go iax and spare yourself
a lot of frustration.
</imho>