[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk user - Dumb Questions

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sun Nov 27 18:52:11 MST 2005

Mike McMullen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is my first posting and if am asking dumb questions please
> let me apologize. I'm in no way a telephony or pbx expert. I have
> tried googling for answers but can't seem to find the answers I need.
> Probably because I'm not using the right words.

Some may chastise you for not using the Asterisk at home list, but your
problems are certainly more generic.
Not dumb questions at all.

> I have installed Asterisk at Home 2.0 which uses Asterisk 1.2.
>
> Everything appears to be running great with two exceptions:
>
> 1) On outbound dialing it appears that about 50% of the time the
>    leading dial digit is lost by the phone company. I have 8 analog
>    lines connected into two digium TDM400P cards.
>    I think Asterisk is dialing the number before the carrier (SBC)
>    is ready. Is there a way to create a delay in the dialing to allow
>    SBC to be ready to take the dialing? Kind of like the "w" command
>    in modem dialing. If so, what do I need to put and in which
> configuration
>    file?

You are absolutely correct.
Asterisk does NOT listen for dialtone, and no one seems able or cares to
fix that problem

IF, and only IF, you are dialing with DTMF, you can insert a series of
"w" into the dial string.
Search the list archives for exactly where, then you will have to
struggle with *@home to make the change and keep it from being overwritten.
If, on the other hand, one uses pulse dial, then the "w"  in the
dialstring will not work.

> 2) Is there a way to increase the volume of received vmail in email? I've
>    tried listening to them on 2 different PCs and a laptop. Even with
> volume
>    turned up all the way, they are very faint.

Another chronic Asterisk problem.
I am not sure there has been a fix to this either. Seems to only be
there with the TDM400, or perhaps the TDM400 and the X100 cards..

I believe some have changed the format of the Vmail , either to or away
from wav, and gotten better results.
Again, search the list archives for answers.

Best of luck

John Novack