[Asterisk-Users] IAXmodem fax polling

Jean-Denis Girard jd.girard at sysnux.pf
Sat Nov 26 13:43:07 MST 2005

Hi list,

I installed iaxmodem and Hylafax to see how it compares to rx/txfax; so
far I had 0 failure in my limited testing with a Philips HFC21 fax
machine that failed very often with txfax (same test platform, with
spandsp-0.0.2xxx).

So congratulation and thanks for this work !
(maybe some of the improvement is due to newer spandsp used in iaxmodem)

Now I would like to use iaxmodem in a "fax polling" application:the
customer calls the asterisk server from a fax machine, answers a few
questions through an IVR, then a script generates a file (tiff or
whatever) based on the customer's input, and the fax is transmitted on
the customer's channel.

With txfax it is straightforward. With iaxmodem, the only way I found is
to send both calls to a meetme room: the customer hears a message/music
while the fax is processed by Hylafax, and then iaxmodem is bridged to
the caller's channel. It seems to work in my very limited testing, but
I'm a bit worried about degradation going through the meetme
pseudo-channel, which would result in less reliability. What do you
think about reliability? Is there a better way?

Thanks,
--
Jean-Denis Girard

SysNux                  Systèmes Linux en Polynésie française
http://www.sysnux.pf/   Tél: +689 483 527 / GSM: +689 797 527