[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk fax

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Sat Nov 26 12:34:55 MST 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Andrew Nowrot wrote:

>> More specifically, you can make it work using an ATA or a TDM400P
>> card with an fxs port, but it is not likely to be reliable. If you
>> send a few faxes here and there, that shouldn't be a big deal. If you
>> are talking about an office where lots of faxing is done, the lack of
>> reliability will likely be noticeable.
>
> Hi
>
> I don't see what seems to be a problem. I use the fax machine with
> diguim 3 fxs 1fxo card and everything works fine. How this lack of
> reliability can reveal itself?
> I also can't say that I use my fax very often (maybe 20 times a day).
>
> Cheers

Well, shocking as it might be, I could be wrong. I might be wrong
about that, though... <smirk>

Seriously, I can't say for sure. In the past there have been some
posts on the list suggesting that the TDM400P didn't play nicely with
fax traffic. It could be that this problem has since been resolved,
or maybe heavier fax traffic would reveal a problem, I dunno.

However, I do think it is fairly clear that using an ATA is a less
than ideal solution for any serious faxing, since the fax protocol
often doesn't play nicely with the tendency of VOIP to occasionally
lose packets. YMMV, though, so try it out and see how it works for you.

Tom

Tom Rymes
Cascade Link Systems
www.cascadelinksystems.com
(603) 375-1414

"Intelligent technology solutions for small businesses."