[Asterisk-Users] Small office with all employee's offsite

Jason Marshall marshalj at spots.ab.ca
Sat Nov 26 10:48:55 MST 2005

I'm sure these questions have been answered at some point, but I'm too new
to this stuff to know the right words to plug into the search function to
find what I need.

I have never touched Asterisk before, but have wanted to for some time.
Now I finally think I'm going to bite the bullet, as I have a real-world
application for it!

My office consists of two employees, neither of whom work in the office
physically.  Here is what I'd like to do.  Hopefully someone can tell me
what I need to do/buy/configure/install to make it work...

I want all calls to come into the Asterisk box in the main office.

I want all incoming calls to be recorded (not as concerned about outgoing
calls).

Both employees have regular POTS telephone lines (one fellow has a land
line and a cell, the other has just a land-line).

I'd like callers to be presented with a short menu of options, the
behavior of which might change depending on the time of day (for instance,
at night, I'd like both the "sales" and "support" calls to go to one
employee, while during the day I'd like sales to go to one person, and
support to go to another.  I'd also like to have an answering machine
(built into Asterisk?) pick up calls that go unanswered.

I guess that's about it.  I looked at the Digium TDMxx cards, but don't
really know what I need in the way of FXO's and FXS's to pull off what I
want to do.

As an added bonus, if someone knows of a VOIP adapter that allows one to
plug an analog phone into it AND accept both VOIP and normal phone calls
to the same phone, that would be cool (and might make things easier to
configure, without making each extension 100% dependent on VOIP).

Thanks in advance.  I'm really looking forward to finally doing something
with Asterisk, one of the most exciting projects I've looked at for a
while!!