[Asterisk-Users] NewBie to Ast Server, help need for the configuration

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Sat Nov 26 08:54:40 MST 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 4:35 AM, ram wrote:

> Hi
>
> thanks,
>
> but later i posted that, ast at home need new server to start with
> as i have shortage of servers to go with that kind of setup
> so i have downloaded the Ast Source not Ast at home
> and compiled existing server setup, rather a new server
> so iam asking what are config files need to change
> yes iam working with that book, and understand things
> iam asking there any on hand to startup and immediatly setup
>  so 5 users can start calling out side,
>  later i go with new server and start wit the fresh setup later
>
> ram

ram,

A few things:

1.) People here will be happy to help you out if it is clear that you
have already tried to help yourself by using Google, reading voip-
info.org, and reading the documentation. However, it seems obvious
that you haven't, so you are unlikely to find someone who is willing
to do all of the work for you (we've all got our own jobs to do). So
before you post here, Google it, google it some more, then go to the
wiki. Search the archives of this list, you name it. All of the
questions you have asked thus far could easily have been answered if
you had simply looked for the answer yourself. If you have already
done your homework and you still can't find an answer, *then* post to
the list, but don't ask us to figure it out for you.

Some google searching tips for Asterisk (type these along with your
search terms):

site:voip-info.org (This tells Google to search only the wiki.)

site:lists.digium.com (This tells Google to search only the list
archives)

2.) If you want to install A at H on a server that already has linux
installed (like your existing FC4 install), go to
asteriskathome.sourceforge.net and read the handbook. There is a
tar.gz file you can download that will install over an existing
CentOS linux install. It might or might not work with FC4. If you
have problems with that, ask a question on the A at H forum at sourceforge.

3.) You don't need to use specialized server hardware to install A at H
for 5 users. Just install A at H on any Pentium 3 or better desktop,
laptop, whatever and use that for your demo. Heck, for 5 users, a
Pentium 2 would probably work, considering this isn't a production
machine. Assuming that goes well, then buy some more robust hardware
for your production install.

4.) If you don't have any machines that fit the description in 3.),
then scare up an extra hard drive for your desktop machine that you
use daily. Then, remove your existing HDD (This is important, b/c A at H
will overwrite it if you leave it installed!!!!!). Install the new
hard drive and install A at H on it. configure Asterisk and get it
working and do your demo. If you need to fire up your normal desktop
install, remove the new HDD and swap back your original HDD. (Not
ideal, but it'll work and it will save you a ton of time compared to
trying to install and configure Asterisk any other way. When you have
a small or even tiny budget, some good old Yankee ingenuity comes in
handy...even if you aren't a good old Yankee....)

Tom

Tom Rymes
Cascade Link Systems
www.cascadelinksystems.com
(603) 375-1414

"Intelligent technology solutions for small businesses."