[Asterisk-Users] A rather big setup.

Vedran Dakic java at it-review.net
Sat Nov 26 04:35:16 MST 2005

> You mean 240 / 1000 simultaneous calls or 240 outside lines and 1000
> internal phones ?

I can only guess that I should have the ability to deliver a solution that
can do some 100/500 simultaneously. The only question is how powerful should
be a machine (or machines) that could do around 100/500 simultaneously. And,
just for the sake of knowing, what should the setup be alike if it was
240/1000 simultaneously?

> In the second case there's no need for a cluster, a good server will do,
> (obviously a second server for backup is a good idea ). I'm assuming you
> can use a/ulaw to transmit the data, if bandwidth is a problem and you
> must compress cpu usage becomes a boottleneck to keep in mind.

A/ulaw? I saw some reports that G.729 uses very little bandwidth and has
a quality part granted (audio quality). It's not a question of hardware
and/or CPU power, I have two dual Opteron configurations and could install
some more, it's just the question of that setup running with quality audio
and no unwanted events.

I presume that I should have all of the phones using the same codec (so,
no transcoding), and preferrably the same VoIP protocol. I have a choice
there so everything's possible. Let's say - IP10s has H.323, SIP and MGCP
firmwares, although I'd like to leave H.323 out of the story.

> I'm having ~80 concurrent calls from iax/sip to pri  in alaw  from an
> userbase of ~150 clients and the cpu is around 6% on a dual 2.8 Ghz.
> 1000 phones are a lot, and sip sometimes is an hassle (mostly nat), I
> don't know your network topology, but maybe you can consider to connect
> every group of phones to an asterisk pc and the pcs to the server via
> iax, which uses a little less bandwidth and most of all works "out of
> the box". A pentium 400 can handle ~8 calls with ilbc, so every modern
> pc will do.

Maybe I have a better idea, now that I come to think of it. Maybe I should
install one Asterisk server per floor (8-9 floors) and use IAX to connect
to the central server with E1 connections. Does that sound reasonable?