[Asterisk-Users] [Fwd: call status with FXO]

Gabriel Rojas grr at alastor.com.mx
Thu Nov 24 17:27:16 MST 2005

Adam Goryachev wrote:
> see the zapata.conf for callprogress=yes
> However, this is unreliable, and could provide incorrect results. For
> accurate information you will need to get a BRI or PRI and related
> interface card. These provide the information Out Of Band, and as such
> are accurate.

I've already tried it and the results were awful. Every call was
terminated in the middle of it. My big question is how a modem can detect
such states with 100% accuracy and asterisk can't. Is there a basic
problem or difference that cannot be solved?

> callerid=no will solve that, but then you won't get callerid :)
> Possibly, your line doesn't supply callerid anyway, or you don't care,
> so then that is a good solution.

I wasn't clear enough. It seems that if you something like

              exten => _99.,n,Dial(Zap/4/${EXTEN:2})

Asterisk considers that Zap/4 ( an FXO device ) is answering Dial() first
and then dialling the outside number. That first answering is what I mean.
I realize now that there is CID transfer between the calling extension and
Zap/4 but why does it takes so long? And yes, I do need CID. As I said,
asterisk 1.0.7 ( I think
it was that version I tried first ) with Linux 2.4.2x didn't have such
behavior: dialling the FXO iface would get an immedate dialtone or the
outside number dialed right away.
   My greatest surprise is there seems to be a very small amount of people
connecting telco lines to internal extensions via Asterisk. The whole
point of trying to get accurate info about call state is to be able to
do thing like outside call accounting and billing distribution on
simple PSTN lines via common Digium TDM400 cards. Any work on this or
trick to do the job? Thanks in advance