[Asterisk-Users] Codec negotiation (not the same old stuff)

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Nov 23 20:29:06 MST 2005

I have a H.323 device, let's call it stupid, that supports all variants
of G.729.  That should be
good, but no.  When it negotiates a call between Asterisk and a phone
that supports all
varients of G.729, it gets it wrong.  Asterisk sends G.729A and the
phone sends G.729,
at which point the device transcodes the call, but changes the
packetization.

I'm looking for a way to get Asterisk to offer plain old G.729, so the
device (stupid) can
just bridge the RTP.  My research shows this should not be required,
since G.729 and
G.729A are compatible and don't need transcoding.

I'm trying to get an answer from the device manufacturer, but I do not
have high hopes.

If it matters, I am using chan_ooh323 with Asterisk 1.2.0.

Thanks,
Dan