[Asterisk-Users] What's the best way to stream and/or convert MP3 and WAV files?

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Wed Nov 23 20:19:29 MST 2005

Leo Burd wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm implementing an audioblog application and have some questions about
> how to best stream and/or convert MP3 and WAV files to be played by
> Asterisk.  Currently, I first copy the files from the server to my
> machine, convert them to Wav and play.  Unfortunately, this process is
> not very efficient at all.  Here are my questions:

Hehe, I have an AGI at the moment that connects to an RSS feed, parses it for
various mp3 files and then streams them.

> a) Is there any way to play MP3 files directly by Asterisk?

MP3Player.

> b) What is the best command line to be used to convert MP3 files into
> any format that can be played by Asterisk?  Shall I use sox or anything
> like that?  If so, what would be the proper parameters to pass?

Don't know sorry.

> c) Is there any way to stream MP3 files directly into Asterisk and still
> allow users to forward/pause/rewind the file while playing?

Not really.  What you're wanting is controlplayback, but when I tried it with
mp3 files, it didn't seem to work.

> d) Does Asterisk play any kind of WAV file?  Do I need to convert Wav
> files before playing them?

Should be ok, have you tried it?  What format are they in?

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell

http://www.sineapps.com/news.php (Daily Asterisk News - html)