[Asterisk-Users] Virtual Modems Revisited

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Nov 23 19:18:11 MST 2005

Don Fanning wrote:

>I brought this up a while back and althought there are pieces that
>interface * into Fax Telephony applications, there hasn't been something
>that works with plain old analog modems.
>
>Then I found this piece of code.  From my initial tests it looks solid,
>but I have no clue in how to interface this into asterisk.  I thought I
>would put this link up for other people to comment and try.
>
>http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/linmodem.html
>
>Out of the box it works with soundcards.  I've been battling jack and
>alsa for a week trying to get them to play nice just to reroute the
>audio but I'm out of time in this regard.  So I thought I would toss it
>up and see what other people can come up with.
>
>Happy Holidays!
>Don

Linmodem doesn't work out the box with anything. linmodem was abandoned
by its author at a very early stage, before any of its component parts
really worked.

It has a number of useful bits, which might be used as the basis for a
modem. It does not have a properly working code for any of the modem
standards.

I think Fabrice got busy, and with patent issues preventing wide
deployment of a V.34 modem finished the software just seemed like a
waste of time to him. He is one of the good guys of free DSP, and has
since produced several valuable things which are complete.

Steve