[Asterisk-Users] Re: sip URL peering

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wsr+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Wed Nov 23 18:50:31 MST 2005

Patrick <asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl> writes:
> Shouldn't the last line in exten-peers.conf be:
> exten => _**XXX.,1,Macro(dial-outgoing,SIP/${EXTEN:5}@sipbroker.com)
>                                                   ^^^
> Similar to the previous line sipbroker line:
> exten => _**999.,1,Macro(dial-outgoing,SIP/${EXTEN:5}@sipbroker.com)

Thanks for looking this over.  Extra eyes always help.

The last line is a bit different from the ones above it.  In the
normal case the ${EXTEN:5} was meant to strip the 5 chars in the
routing prefix "**999" and only pass on the base number to the
remote sip server.

The catch-all sipbroker line is meant to have the 4 of those 5 chars
passed off to sipbroker so that they can examine the routing prefix
and route the call.  This should only happen for the prefixes added
between the time I last updated the file and whenever a new prefix was
added to sipbroker.  The reason the first "*" needs to be stripped is
that sipbroker wants to see the prefix codes as "*999", with only one
"*".  Asterisk along with my Sipura phone seem to use *XX codes for
their own purposes and I didn't feel comfortable enough putting the
dial prefix codes in potentially clashing real-estate.  (Comments
suggestions are very welcome.  I've got very little telco/telecom
experience and am just "winging it".)

The one thing I think I do have a minor error on is in the dial-out
macro.  I copied it from somewhere, but the last "s-." line looks more
wrong the longer I look at it.  I think it should really be "_s-." and
not "s-.".

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html