[Asterisk-Users] How to make Broadvox work with Asterisk 1.2.0

tracinet traci.asterisk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 06:45:59 MST 2005

Spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting this and figured it would save
someone a lot of time if this was documented
(thanks to drumkilla, file and Juggie for their assistance on this as well).

Been using Broadvox DIDs to receive incoming calls for over a year now with
an older version of asterisk with no problems.
Upgraded to asterisk 1.2.0 and incoming calls stopped working.  I would see
the call hit asterisk and asterisk would send
a 200 OK SIP reply but Broadvox would not send an ACK.  After analyzing the
ethereal captures of my old system and the new system
the only difference was that asterisk 1.2.0 included "Max-Forwards: 70" in
the SIP header when replying to Broadvox.

After many hours of troubleshooting, Broadvox finally said that their switch
does not support having "Max-Forwards: 70"
specified in the SIP headers that asterisk sends back to them so they are
not able to send an ACK back.  They said that
I had to remove the offending statement from the SIP headers in order for
the calls to work.  I did so and re-tested and the
calls went through fine.

Here are the details of what needs to be changed to make asterisk
1.2.0compatible with Broadvox:

(assuming your source files are in /usr/src/asterisk)

1. open /usr/src/asterisk/channels/chan_sip.c for editting

2. remove each line that mentions "Max-Forwards"

3. save file and recompile asterisk

4. Calls from Broadvox work again

They are aware that Max-Forwards is in RFC-3261 (
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt).

Supposedly, Broadvox is working with their vendor to update their switch to
support Max-Forwards in the SIP headers.
Until that happens, this is the only way to make asterisk 1.2.0 work with
their equipment.

Hopefully this helps!