[Asterisk-Users] International Dialing Code

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Nov 22 15:38:39 MST 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 22:39, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 21:03 +0100, Richard Bennett wrote:
> > What would be really usefull would be a collaborative block-list
> > containing all the premium destinations and and special tarrif lines
> > worldwide. I already have this pretty complete, but there's always the
> > risk a new premium price destination will be added somewhere, and then
> > the fraud can start...
>
> I had a thought about this, if you dont know of a route you dont route
> it.  Rather than relying on country defaults or whatever.  This might
> work most of the time, I think it would be fairly rare that someone
> could get a matching route somewhere that was a premium number where the
> left most part of the number matched something that was not premium.
>
> It could happen, especially if termination rates are allowed to be
> changed at will...  But those countries are more rare.

I don't see how you cannot rely on country defaults (like 1 for usa, 44 for
uk)
The premium number prefix is almost always the national prefix with added
digits, so if you don't have it in your list, you will be billing national
fixed-phone rate, and paying premium rate.
Take a few Ireland premium rate for example:
3531520  	IRELAND Prs
3531530 	IRELAND Prs
3531540 	IRELAND Prs
So from your list:
Ireland,353
Ireland-Dublin,3531
Ireland-Mobile,353583
Ireland-Mobile,3538
Ireland-Mobile,35383
Ireland-Mobile,35385
Ireland-Mobile-O2,35382
Ireland-Mobile-O2,35386
Ireland-Mobile-Vodafone,35387
Ireland-Mobile-Vodafone,35388

You would be billing those premium-rate calls at the rate for Ireland-Dublin.
It's a recipe for disaster, as I'm sure you're aware.

>Yeah and if people sign 'pass through billing' contract the provider
>would be liable unless  they have that in their contract with their
>customers as well.
I Googled on this but came-up blank, is this a genuine option, or a Utopian
hope for the future?

Richard