[Asterisk-Users] sip URL peering

Chris Hills chills at ne-worcs.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 15:02:54 MST 2005

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> One thing I haven't seen get much airtime on the digium lists is sip
> URL-based peering.  I imagine many of us have far more asterisk
> extensions than PSTN numbers.  It would be really nice to be able to
> do something like call 7123 at joes-asterisk from 2123 at my-asterisk.  It
> looks like all or most of the pieces are in place, but I don't see
> folks discussing it much.  Is no-one else interested in this?

Perhaps you would be interested in TRIP (telephony routing over ip)?
Each organisation can apply for an ITAD number, just like a domain. TRIP
numbers take the form <extension>*<itad>, for example, 1234*222. As you
can no doubt surmise, TRIP numbers can be dialled from a regular
telephone handset. For more information, please see the following
documents:-

http://www.iana.org/assignments/trip-parameters
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3219.txt

Regards