[Asterisk-Users] Menu Tree Delay

Don Pobanz asterisk at hastingsutilities.com
Tue Nov 22 07:01:29 MST 2005

Kerry Garrison wrote:
> I have a fairly simple menu structure, three options branch to submenus.
> There is a long (several seconds) delay between pressing a key and getting
> the next menu. This happens on 2 out of 3 of my menus for no apparent
> reason. I am kind of at a loss as to what to look at. Any suggestions would
> be appreciated.

The problem is that asterisk does not know if it needs to wait for
additional digits so is waiting for a timeout. When someone dials 3, are
they done or could they also dial 30 or 301?

The way to get rid of this wait is to make sure any other numbers in
this context begin with a different digit.

Only have
1 <option 1>
2 <option 2>
3 <option 3>

and not additional lines like
301  <extension 301>

Extensions in the same context would begin with a 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

Don Pobanz