[Asterisk-Users] reply to today's posting

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon Nov 21 11:31:38 MST 2005

Allison Smith wrote:
> Asterisk Community Members:
>
> What a day we've all had! OK -- deep breath -- relax, and let's take a
> look at the situation calmly and rationally.
>
> I -- as the voice of Asterisk -- am really out of the loop gossip-wise.
> I'm not even officially on the Asterisk-Users mailing list. Who said
> what to whom? I don't know. I'm completely out of it. I record prompts
> all year long, and once a year, I board a plane to Astricon where I
> am fortunate enough to meet the users and developers who make this great
> system run. I know nothing about the politics, the drama, the
> door-slamming or anything else, so when -- in Anaheim last month -- I
> made jaws drop when I asked why that fantastic, fun BKW wasn't here this
> year, it came from a really honest place: I knew (and still know)
> nothing about what happened with BKW and community. All I was told is
> that he was no longer in good standing with the community. This made me
> feel a little odd, as not two weeks earlier, I had recorded prompts for
> BKW not knowing that he wasn't a developer in good standing.
>
> At Astricon, I asked Mark what I should do if BKW should approach me for
> more recordings, and (pay close attention, as this it totally key to the
> whole thing) /_he neither encouraged me_/ /_nor discouraged me from
> doing them_/ -- he took a very neutral position. Couldn't have been more
> "Switzerland".
>
> I made the decision -- /_and me alone_/ -- that when I was approached to
> record again for BKW, that I would recuse myself, as I feel loyal and
> dedicated to Digium -- the company who hired me originally to voice the
> Asterisk prompts, the company that pays me to this day for recording
> prompts on a daily basis, the company who brings me down to the
> conventions and makes way too big of a fuss over me. I explained to BKW
> -- in almost exactly those words -- why I couldn't continue to work with
> him. No position taken...no judgement (how can I? Can't judge if
> you don't know any of the details) ....just out of loyalty to Digium, it
> seemed to be a conflict to record prompts for someone who wasn't
> officially part of the community anymore -- and -- it would appear -- is
> actually associated with a /competing/ product. He seemed to be OK with
> it when we rang off -- then, a few minutes later came a mildly vitriolic
> e-mail from him, and then -- the Asterisk user board started to buzz. No
> doubt, he thought about the logistics of finding a new voice and having
> the prompts re-recorded from the ground up, and found it to be an
> overwhelmingly daunting thought -- not finding new talent...I'm
> completely replacable...but the recording of all-new prompts...oy.
>
> Let me be very clear about this, guys: Mark and the group have not
> "strong-armed" me, "backed me into a corner" or threatened me in any way
> with any bizarre exclusivity agreement. I've even voiced for the major
> Bells (you know -- the guys on the t-shirts with the big line through
> [...]

Asterisk-users,

	First of all, I'm sorry that I didn't know about this response sooner...

	I don't want to interject myself into this, but I was a witness to at
least part of the conversation between Allison and Mark.  I don't think
that I'll betray any confidences if I report exactly what I heard.

	Mark's exact words (to Allison) were something along the lines of "You
record prompts, that's what you do.  If someone wants you to record
prompts, go for it".  All with a lot of enthusiasm and a big smile, in
typical Mark style.  Draw your own conclusions!

--
Kristian Kielhofner