[Asterisk-Users] Re: Death at 2am

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 05:58:13 MST 2005

In article <20051121112944.nms3w62tc4go80s4 at imp.oak-wood.co.uk>,
Chris Hastie <lists at oak-wood.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Next, examine the cron jobs that happen at 2am, to see if any of them
> > could explain anything.
>
> I did look at that. Nothing seems to run at 2am that doesn't run on
> every other
> hour. My first inclination was that maybe newsyslog was trying to rotate
> Asterisk's logs at 2am, but that doesn't look to be the case.
>
> I take it that Asterisk (with mostly the standard sample config files) doesn't
> try to do anything at 02:00 then?

I don't believe it does anything according to a fixed schedule like that.

> > Failing that, it could be that something ishappening at your provider
> > everyday at 2am and Asterisk is not coping with it gracefully.
>
> I hadn't considered that. Connectivity provider, or VOIP provider (of
> the latter I have more than one)?

Could be either. My theory is that something your Asterisk tries to do
regularly is failing for some reason at that time, due to something either
internal or external, and that the error handling is not closing one or
more file descriptors that it had opened. As the failed operation gets
retried (possibly quickly and often), these leaked fd's accumulate and
eventually reach the process limit.

You could also add or uncomment the following line in
/etc/asterisk/logger.conf:

full => notice,warning,error,debug,verbose

(you may have to restart asterisk or do a "logger reload")

Then you can see what is in /var/log/asterisk/full after the problem
has occurred.

Cheers
Tony
--