[Asterisk-Users] Re: Death at 2am

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 04:29:43 MST 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <DU+bccNssYgDFw2C at celandine.oak-wood.co.uk>,
> Chris Hastie <lists at oak-wood.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I've just installed Asterisk 1.2 onto a FreeBSD system and it is mostly
>> working well.
>>
>> But it dies at 2am every morning. Not quite a complete death, but it
>> seems to loose any ability to communicate with the rest of the world.
> Firstly, look and see what the "too many open files" are:
>
> # lsof -p94218
>
> (or whatever the complaining PID is). I'm assuming FreeBSD has lsof.
> I don't know, as I use Linux.

Thanks. I'll give this ago tomorrow morning

> Next, examine the cron jobs that happen at 2am, to see if any of them
> could explain anything.

I did look at that. Nothing seems to run at 2am that doesn't run on
every other
hour. My first inclination was that maybe newsyslog was trying to rotate
Asterisk's logs at 2am, but that doesn't look to be the case.

I take it that Asterisk (with mostly the standard sample config files) doesn't
try to do anything at 02:00 then?

> Failing that, it could be that something ishappening at your provider
> everyday at 2am and Asterisk is not coping with it gracefully.

I hadn't considered that. Connectivity provider, or VOIP provider (of
the latter
I have more than one)?

I'll experiment with some debug output overnight tonight to see if it gives me
any more clues.

> You could also try specifying 212.187.162.178 temporarily instead of
> voipfone.co.uk - that would tell you whether the problem is DNS related.

I'm pretty sure it is not DNS related. Asterisk seems to loose the ability to
connect to anything, irrespective of the direction of the connection. Phones
can not connect to Asterisk either. I think the inability of Asterisk to
connect to a DNS server is merely one of the symptons of a total inability to
talk to anything else at all.

--
Chris Hastie